Aeternus
You must login or register to have full access to the forum. To register, keep in mind that your account name DOES NOT need to be your character's name. We use the "one account per player" method, as such numerous characters can be tied to one account.
Aeternus
You must login or register to have full access to the forum. To register, keep in mind that your account name DOES NOT need to be your character's name. We use the "one account per player" method, as such numerous characters can be tied to one account.
Aeternus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aeternus is a medieval RP forum with an in depth and complex fantasy setting.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Affiliates
free forum The RPG Collection
Old Magic and New Possible2b
Chatbox
Window
YOUR POSTS CLICK ME!
omg

Old Magic and New

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:40 pm

It was raining in Doh Alar, a heavy rain. Aeneas counted the seconds of silence between the thunder. One... Two... Three... Four... Five... There, the angry roar of thunder. Soon after there was another flash of light, lightning crashing down somewhere far off, far from the ruins of Doh Alar. The young fae was sitting on the edge of the balcony of his chambers. Students were allowed to take whatever room, or tower, they wished that hadn't been taken by a full mage. They were, obviously, not allowed to take a chamber in one of the Six Towers, and most especially not in the Seventh. Aeneas had taken a full tower for his own, a tower still defiant where all others around it had fallen down to the onslaught of time and nature. The top was broken, like a broken blade, yet it was warm enough during winter.

More than anything though, the tower's defensive spells still held. It had taken a while for the young fae to understand how to make the spells detect him as one allowed inside, yet he had prevailed, and succeeded. They had been elemental spells and illusions, both schools of magic which he had learnt, and still did. Now other students would be denied access. He had seen the efficiency of the spells first-hand when one had tried to sneak in; he thought he was still in the Life tower, being healed. While using magic against a fellow student was frowned upon, you were not punished if you didn't get caught, and as far as the masters of the academy were concerned, the wounded student had simply stumbled upon old traps. He should have known better than head in blind.

"Hey! Mind opening your door? I'm getting soaked down here!" said a voice from bellow Aeneas. The fae smiled; it was Qevim. He did not live in Aeneas' tower, though being his best friend, simply because he had already a room in a tower with his sister and other Grey Elves. The young fae took down the tower's defences with a thought, and Qevim was allowed in. He joined him in the tower's main hall, which lacked much in terms of furnitures. But then, most ruins did.

"I didn't expect you to visit with the storm outside." Aeneas remarked to his friend when he was inside, and Aeneas had activated the defences again.

"I had to tell you, we're going out to town. Seems a few air mages chose to protect the city itself from the rain, we're curious why... And we ran out of wine." explained the Grey Elf. Aeneas did not seem convinced though, he never was.

"Arya will be there..." added Qevim innocently, which brought a fierce glare from Aeneas. Arya was Qevim's sister, and the elf knew that his friend had a crush on her.

"Fine, I'll go... if only because I have no new books to read." said Aeneas.

Qevim snorted. "Sure, and I'm a dwarf."

Still they went, using Aeneas' elmental magic and Qevim's kinetic to shield themselves from the worst of the rain. They quickly reached the others, a group of five, two boys and three girls, all of whom Aeneas could count as friends, though not as much as Qevim. And among them was Arya. While most Grey Elves had silver hair and eyes of amber, Arya had pale golden hair and violet eyes, rare among her people and said to be the sign of fortune. While elves, just like fae, were beautiful beyond the simple beauty of mortals, she was special in Aeneas' eyes, and had been since he had first seen her.

He hid those thoughts well though, deep inside him... though that hadn't stoped Qevim from finding out, somehow. "About time you two showed up, had we waited any longer fish would have called us kin!" jested one of the elves, which brought laughter for most, and even a smile from Aeneas.

They left to the city itself, where most of the ruins had been repaired. The Grand Plaza had indeed been protected from the weather by spells, Aeneas could feel them, and many were enjoying the night. He thought he spied a few entertainers, but the crowds made it hard to see. "Where should we go? The Drunken Mage?" proposed one of the boys, Maervyn.

"That would depend on how much gold you still have." Aeneas remarked, Maervyn was known for his spending habits. His friends laughed while Maervyn grinned, accepting the remark with good humour. "Very well, not the Drunken Mage. Any thoughts, oh sharp tongue?" the elf replied.

Aeneas smiled. "It would be a shame not to profit of the night air. The Lucky Coin's roof would give us a good view on what we might do next after our drinks." he proposed.

"Sounds good to me!" said Qevim, who then turned to the girls who had been speaking among themselves. "And what do you good ladies think?"

They looked at eachothers. "We agree! We'll go with Aeneas' idea." Arya said. Allyliar, the other boy who had come with them grinned. "Of course if Aeneas says so..." he begun, smiling, but ending up laughing at the look Arya gave him. The other girls, Valya and Elia, giggled and the group went to the Lucky Coin, while Aeneas was trying to solve the puzzle before him. How could he interpret what Allyliar had said, and Arya's reaction... They bought their drinks and looked down below, to what they might visit afterwards.
Back to top Go down
https://aeternus.rpg-board.net
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:10 pm

Stopping to catch her breath, Kiara fell to her hands and knees gasping as the rapier she had been carrying fell to the ground next to her. She wiped her brow and looked over her shoulder to see if she was still being followed. After that horrid night, it seemed as if all she was able to do was run. It had started with the man handing her the sword that lay next to her and the coins that she now only had one of.
Those bastards. She thought, burning with a rage that had been the only thing that had been able to break through the sadness of her loss and the shock of the change in her life that was brought on in that raid.

It had been a long and rushed journey to where she now rested on the ground. First she had run blindly away from the burning town she had called home her entire life. She had arrived at a nearby town where the coins that had been given to her were enough to gain lodgings for one night. Once she had some time to rest, she recalled the letter that she received when she had turned ten. It had been left by her father, not the man who raised her, but her biological father. There wasn't much in it, but apparently her father had expected something to happen as it told her to head to The Magocracy of Alar'ai if anything were to happen to her.

She had her reservations about the place as she knew what the view of common folk like herself would be. Still, she had nowhere else she knew to go to. And though he had never been there for her, he was her father and the letter did mention that he didn't plan to leave a daughter behind. She didn't have any reason to trust him, but she also had nothing to lose.

Gripping the handle of the sword that she felt was her lifeline, she got back to her feet. The caravan that she had hidden on had members that weren't happy with her hitching a free ride and eating their food. She felt bad, but she didn't know what else to do. She had never stolen or misled anyone before, and hated the feeling. It wasn't how she was raised, but that had all been taken away now and so she was going to adapt. Looking down at the blade she winced at seeing the blood dripping down it. She had cut one of the men chasing her pretty badly, but she wasn't going to be stopped, all she could hope for was that he was going to be okay.

Resuming her course to the Magocracy she soon stood outside of it in the harsh storm, dripping wet, wearing nothing but the dark grey tunic, brown pants, and sandals. She had clearly not been ready for the weather and her now short and uneven hair was plastered to her forehead. Her eyes were narrowed as her teeth chattered when a sharp breeze seemed to cut through her. Thinking of nothing else she could do, she let the weapon fall to the ground and cupped her hands around her mouth.
"HELP!" She shouted before she collapsed onto the ground. Curled up with her arms wrapped around her, all she could do was hop that her father hadn't led her astray. Before long her eyes closed as she passed out.

As the girl's eyes closed, a heavily cloaked figure stepped forth, clearly someone who had been tailing her due to how quickly it arrived. Crouching down over the unconscious form of Kiara a hand extended and deposited a small medallion with the mark of a vaguely known family of wood elves known for their skill in magic, the House of Tinderleaf. The figure lifted his hood and Enalius gave a sad smile down to his daughter.

"Sorry my dear, I can't stay, not that it would do you much good, but this might give you help." He said as he stroked her cheek before putting pulling his hood back over his head and walking away. He couldn't attempt to be spotted for the time being. He wasn't on bad terms with the Magocracy, he didn't have enough of a reputation, but the mark on the medallion should help, particularly as it had Kiara's name etched in the spot above the family name. It wasn't some heirloom, it was hers and it was time for her to receive it.

As for Kiara, she was unaware of the gift deposited by her father as she was slightly twitching in her sleep as images of the raid flashed through her mind.
Back to top Go down
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 am

"What's going on down there?" said Qevim. The others gathered around him, to look at where he was pointing. A girl had stumbled to the ground and laid there, without anyone checking to see if everything was all right, which was obviously not the case. People were not reacting quickly though, for one look and the onlookers saw a human, probably magicless, nothing important.

"What are you waiting for?! Let's go help her!" Arya said while the others only looked. She was a Life mage, and had less prejudice than the others of her kind. Was it why he was so attracted to her? Or was there something else? Whatever the case, Aeneas spoke. "I will get us there, take my arm." he told her.

Qevim shrugged. "It's just a human..." he begun, but shut his mouth quickly when his sister glared at him so. "Well, we'll try not to drink your glasses!" he told them as Aeneas lifted himself and Arya off the ground, using air magic to get them quickly to the girl. When they reached her, he used his magic again to protect themselves from the rain. Arya knelt to the girl's side, probing her with her own magic.

"She's alive, but weak. She just needs energy... There, hopefully that was enough." the elf said after focusing for a moment. Aeneas watched, his eyes on the girl, his thoughts hidden. "There's a medallion... Tinderleaf, an elf house." he remarked. He knew the House only because of the extensive education he had received when younger. They were to him only a name among others, not important enough for Anduriel's sons.

"Forest elves, but they have magic."

"Odd for a human to possess such a medallion."

"Her ears are sharper than most humans. Maybe an half-elf, or the descendant of one." Arya replied. Aeneas frowned, now that she mentioned it he could remark the very slight alteration. He waited for the girl to awaken, him standing while Arya stayed at her side, not caring if her dress was spoiled by water.
Back to top Go down
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 am

Kiara opened her eyes slightly before they closed again. A slight moan came from the girl as her eyes opened fully this time, though in a groggy way. Her vision came in focus and she saw that she was not alone. Gasping she sat up with a jolt and scrabbled back away from the people around her in a panic.
"Where am... Is this the..?" Her eyes shifted back and forth very quickly taking in her surroundings.

"This is the Magocracy right?" She asked, looking at each of the people around her in turn, hoping that she hadn't made a terrible mistake in coming here. Tough she didn't feel like she was hurt, in fact she felt better than when she had passed out. Calming down slightly she took a few deep breaths.

She was still clearly in a state of distrustful panic and slight shock that had been following her since the raid, even the deeper breaths were more shallow and rapid than a calm person would have. She was in a position that she could only pray that she had made the right choice. If not she didn't like that idea of stirring up enough trouble to pull in what certainly looked to be mages who didn't normally hold such people as her in high regard.
Back to top Go down
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 2:41 am

Aeneas arched a very white eyebrow at the girl, though to be honest they both seemed to be of the same age. "You are in Doh Alar, the Magocracy's capital, yes." he answered, on a tone that was neither hostile nor friendly, though a bit cold. He was like that to strangers, with little regard to their feelings if he saw them as unimportant. He decided to be nicer when Arya did not looked pleased by his behaviour.

"Are you all right? You fell in the middle of the street, under the rain. You were exhausted... What happened to you?" Arya asked, genuinely concerned. It puzzled Aeneas, how could she be when that girl was a stranger? Was it something typically elvish? The Unseelie would never help another if there was nothing to be gained; that was how Aeneas had been raised.

"Is your name Kiara?" the fae asked. He pushed away a strand of long white hair that threatened to hide one of his eyes as he looked at the human, or half-elf. He had seen the name on the medallion, and wanted to know if she it was indeed her, or if she had stolen the item. In the state she seemed to be, she wouldn't be able to think of a very convincing tale, and Aeneas had grown expert at knowing when he was lied to.
Back to top Go down
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 am

Kiara visibly relaxed between the new of being in the right place and the fact that Arya was inquiring as to if she was alright. She gave a nod at the question as to if she was alright. At the next question she looked away nervously.
"I'm running from the raiders that attacked Revena." She said, knowing full well that lying to these people would be a very bad idea. She was also more inclined to be truthful as it was becoming clear that they would at least listen to her.

She nodded at the question of her name.
"Yes My name is Kiara Vanderhost. My father..." She faltered and took a moment while shuddering.
"My birth father left me a letter a while ago. Telling my if anything were to happen to me, I should come here." She said with a shaky voice, remembering the man who had actually raised her instead of the man who never came into her life.

She looked up after a moment with a puzzled look.
"How did you know my name?" She asked. She was still rattled, but she was a rather sharp young woman and she realized that should have been her first question. After all, there was no way for her to be sure about these people and now she started looking for a clear path in case she had to run.
Back to top Go down
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 3:30 am

Revera was on the other side of the Caernevian River, a neighbour of the Magocracy, Aeneas remembered. Its coast was plagued by raiders of the Kings Isles, if his lessons were correct. She had been running for a long time... and not at the safest of places. Though her reply left him puzzled. Odd. She had the first name correct, yet the second name was wrong. Perhaps it was her other father's name that she wore, and not to this birth father she mentioned.

"Were I you, I would drop the Vanderhost and call myself by the name on your medallion. Vanderhost means nothing here, but Tinderleaf might make one think twice before considering you as unimportant." Aeneas said, motioning to the medallion close to her. He did not seem to notice her distress, his face, while beautiful, remained unmoved. Pity did not come easily to the Unseelie, and even though he was part Seelie, that part of his heritage he suppressed as much as he could.

Arya was more concerned about the girl's family, or recent lack of. "Surely your father told you where to find him, did he? A house, or particular place?" she said, and looked at Aeneas for support. The fae shook his head; he did not know where the Tinderleaf had their home, or even if there even was a Tinderleaf in the city.
Back to top Go down
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 3:48 am

Kiara looked shocked at the suggestion that she drop the family name of Vanderhost. That had been the name she was raised under for all the time she could remember. Before she could reply she looked down at the medallion that had been indicated. Picking it up, she turning it over seeing her name over the Tinderleaf crest and name.
"But I don't even know that name" She said softly.

Looking over at Arya, who seemed to be the main person really concerned about her situation she shook her head at the woman's questions.
"No, I've only ever received the letter from him. I didn't even know who he was." She said before glaring at the medallion.
"And I don't even know where this came from. I didn't have it on my way here" She said as she turned it over in her hands.

Looking to each of the people there in turn she still had an unsure in her eyes.
"So should I have even come here? I wasn't even told why I should come here, but I had nowhere else to go." Kiara was obviously doing what she could to keep from bursting out in terror at the idea of having nowhere to be able to go.
Back to top Go down
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:35 am

While he hid it, Aeneas was getting impatient. The Unseelie side of him, the dominant one, wanted nothing more than to shake the girl until she realized that complaining about her fate would get her nowhere, but he refrained from expressing such thoughts; Arya would probably not like it... and deep inside, the Seelie side of him wanted to do the honourable thing; help her.

"Regardless of the medallion's origin, it is yours. Unless you'd rather be claimed by a mage for being a wild one, or a magicless." Aeneas said. "As for whether you should have come here at all... It doesn't matter, you are here now. If you don't know where to find your father..."

He saw the girl's terror, barely held back, and the pleading look Arya gave him. Somehow, he was supposed to find a solution, at least a temporary one. "Let me think... And let's get out of here, we're drawing unnecessary attention on ourselves." he said and led the two girls back to the plaza, inside the protective shell of the air magic. There were free chairs and tables nearby, and he led them to such tables and chairs.

"Are you thirsty? Or hungry?" asked Arya, while Aeneas thought.

"You could go to the Maester's Bank, see if your father has anything; a medallion like yours is all that is required to access the vaults, well, that and a bloodline verification." he proposed. That was the first place he would start, were he in the girl's position.
Back to top Go down
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Kiara thought for a moment about what she was told and figured that it was likely the best idea to go ahead and simply go by the Tinderleaf name for the time being. It clearly had been able to gain enough interest from these people for them to speak with her. She followed them into the air barrier and took a seat. She gave a weak smile at the mention of something to eat and drink.
"If it isn't too much trouble, yes thank you." She replied.

Looking over to Aeneas as he spoke, he thought about what he suggested and it did seem to make sense.
"Well if that will help I would be glad to." She replied before thinking for a moment.
"If I am of his blood, then what happens?" She asked, more curious than worried now that she had relaxed a little more. It seemed that she was alright for now and was more interested in what lay before her now.

She turned the medallion over in her hands as she spoke. Perhaps she would be okay. There wasn't anyone else she could think that would leave this with her, maybe her father had ensured that she would make it to this place. Those people from the caravan stopped their pursuit awfully quickly, and she had little trouble getting here. Maybe she had very little to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 9:49 pm

A servant, magicless, came to take their orders, and soon drinks and food were on the table. Aeneas and Arya drank little nor did they eat much, but Arya would not be content if Kiara did not receive a proper meal, while Aeneas did not care, or seemed not to.

Aeneas shrugged. "It may be he left something for you in his vault, some indication as to what you should do next. Or maybe you'll find money but no indication, in which case you have to figure it out on your own. Maybe he meant for you to become a student at the academy, or maybe it's up to you. If there is nothing in the vaults..." Another shrug. "I don't know."

And neither should I care. An Unseelie is as Winter itself, merciless, cold and deadly. he thought, remembering his father's words. He had been of the mind that his bastard son's Seelie taint would disappear with the proper education, and Aeneas was not one to disappoint his father.

"The bank has yet to close, we could be there in time." said Arya.

Aeneas looked at her, than at Kiara. "Very well, I will tell the others not to wait for us." he said and walked away. Arya followed him with her violet eyes for a moment before looking back at Kiara. "Please don't bear him ill will, Aeneas is like that to people he does not know. He has a good heart, even if he does not want to admit it." she told Kiara. "Sometimes it's easy to forget the Unseelie part of him."

"Like he said, if you find nothing in the vault, maybe you can stay at the academy, I'm sure you would love it, magic is wonderful to study." Arya continued, smiling at Kiara, trying to cheer her up. Eventually she rose from her seat. "We may want to go to the bank now, or we might risk arriving to close doors." she told Kiara.
Back to top Go down
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:11 am

Kiara had to make an effort to keep herself from simply tearing into her meal. She knew it was unhealthy, but it also wasn't considered proper manners. She still ate quickly, clearly famished as all she had been able to manage after that inn had been small bits of bread and water. Still she tried to eat without disgracing herself.
"Thank you very much." She said once she was finished. Now that she was calmed down and well fed, she seemed to regain her composure.

"Well he's certainly led me this far. Still, if there is a chance that I have the ability, I would like to look into learning magic." She replied as she got to her feet, waiting to be led to the vaults.
"I am ready whenever you are." She said and gave Aeneas a small bow of thanks before looking over to Arya with a small smile.
"I've heard of Unseelie from my father, the one that raised me. Mister Aeneas actually seems friendly for one from what he told me" She replied as she started seeing the man in a different light.

She waited for Arya to lead the way and would then follow.
"So if I am able to learn magic, how does it work? Do I get to choose what I want to study, or is it somewhat ingrained?" She asked, the past couple of days pushed to the back of her mind in the excitement of the idea that she could learn how to use powers that most people she knew only had heard of and never even witnessed.

Back to top Go down
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:07 am

Arya smiled. "He is, though I do not know if it is because of his Seelie side or not. Don't mention it in front of him though, it sends him in a rage... Best if you forget I said anything." she added with a frown. Aeneas reacted violently to any mention of his mother's side. One time he had frozen an Unseelie who had dared mention it in his face, and it had taken a full elemental mage to unfreeze the boy, and then a life mage. There had been no consequences for Aeneas himself, as his father Anduriel held a very prestigious place in the Magocracy. Some said he aimed for the station of Archmage, and others said he had enough power to do so.

They begun to walk towards the Maester's Bank, leaving the plaza in the direction of a domed building of grey stones. "Upon entering in the academy, you are tested to see which branch of magic you would be best at. Most people are specialized in one branch only, in my case life magic. Some people do not have any particular affinity to any branch of magic, and so they get to choose which area they would rather study, or areas if they are particularly strong, like Aeneas." she explained as they walked.

"There are six schools of magic. One is life magic, my own specialization, that allows us to heal body and mind. Another branch that you saw Aeneas use is elemental magic; it is how he was able to shield us from the rain. There is also kinetic magic, my brother is specialized in that school, that allows you to manipulate objects with your mind. There is also illusion magic, every fae has a natural gift with illusions." she went on, and paused.

"And then... There is death magic." she said, though she obviously didn't want to explain it further.

"Which has a very bad reputation, as you can see from Arya's hesitation." Aeneas said with a smirk, becoming visible once more. He had been hidden by an illusion spell, which didn't seem to amuse Arya. She crossed her arms at him. "There was no need to sneak up on us! How long have you been listening?"

He raised his hands to soothe her. "I just arrived, do not worry, I did not overhear whatever important secret you were sharing with our new friend." he said, smiling. His mood had changed greatly, as he seemed to have accepted Kiara's presence. He turned his attention to the half-elf.

"Death magic is the ability to animate the dead, control spirits, walk the netherworld and kill with a spell, among other things. It is poorly understood by most, due to prejudice and unfortunate events of the past." he explained.

"There are reasons! Look around you! That is what death magic brought!" Arya pointed out.

"The destruction of the city itself was the result of elemental mages losing control. If you mean the cause of it... well yes, an experiment did go badly, but death magic is very carefully approached now." he replied. That was a debate they often had.

Before Arya could add another word, Aeneas raised his hand. "But we are losing time, the Maester's Bank will not hold its doors opened indefinitely." he said, and led them to the bank in question. The doors were guarded by two constructs, called Golems, who were animated much the same way a death mage might animate a corpse. The golems were made of rock and steel and were protected against many spells, making them excellent guards to places that had to be safe from even mages. They remained motionless as the trio entered the bank. It was mostly empty at this hour, the marble floor echoing with the group's footsteps as they made their way to the front desk, where a man in grey robes waited.

"First Student Aeneas, First Student Arya, welcome to the bank. Are you here to make a new withdrawl?" asked the cloaked man, a Grey Elf by the name of Lael.

"No, we are here to accompany our friend here, Kiara Tinderleaf who recently arrived. She would like to have access to her family's vault." Aeneas answered, stepping aside to allow Kiara to speak for herself.

Lael leaned against his desk to look at Kiara. "I see. I will need proof that you are indeed of House Tinderleaf, and some of your blood. A drop or two should suffice." the elf said.
Back to top Go down
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Kiara gave a nod at the mention that it would be best not to touch on the matter again. The last thing she needed to do was cause that kind of trouble. Though the conversation shifted over to the schools of magic and she had an enraptured look on her face. The idea of magic had never frightened her, but rather fascinated her.

She nearly jumped once Aeneus appeared. She gave a questioning look as to his comment and was glad when it was clear that he didn't overhear the first bit of what they said, or was at least not bothered and decided to let it slide. He was clearly in a better mood and Kiara decided not to bother with wondering why. It was much nicer. Listening she gave a small smile.
"So like anything else, it's more about the user than the magic itself?" She asked. That was a life lesson she had learned firsthand when her home had been attacked. The man who had gotten her out of there used that blade to strike several people down just like the raiders, but it had been to get them out of there.

Though right after she asked Ayra and Aneus made their points about what was around them. Kiara looked around and shuddered, thinking of the power that had to be unleashed for such results. Though the conversation was clearly at an end when they were led to the bank. Her eyes widened at the sight of the golems being used as guards, though Kiara was clearly with high end people and was led further in where they met a cloaked man who confirmed what Kiara had figured, that the two people with her were far from the common resident of the Magocracy.

Kiara gave a small bow and a nervous smile.
"Yes I would certainly like to see if anythign has been left for me." She added and then gave a quick nod before raising her arm, figuring that they would be extracting the blood from a fingertip or the like if such a small amount was needed.
"Of course." She said as she waited for the blood sample to be taken.
Back to top Go down
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 7:30 pm

"Magic is a channel of energy, it is the mage that molds the magic in its many forms, the mage who channels it, so yes. It depends more on the mage than magic itself." Aeneas replied as they walked.

Then they were at the bank. Lael took a small object, a sphere with a pointed appendage, a sting. "It might sting a little." he warned her, and then pressed the sting on her finger, drawing forth a few drops of blood that, contrarily to the norm, followed the sting up to the sphere within. Then the elf drew back the object and took a key with the seal of House Tinderleaf. The few drops of blood fell on the key, and it glowed a bright green before the blood disappeared.

"It is done, thank you for your patience. This is now your key and is bound to you. Should you lose it, none other will be able to use it and enter your family's vault." he said as he gave Kiara the key, it had stopped to glow by then.

"The Tinderleaf vault is in the corridor on your right. Go down the stairs and it will be the seventh door on your left." Lael explained.

"We'll stay here, none other than your house has access to your vault." Aeneas said.

"Good luck!" Arya encouraged Kiara, smiling brightly.
Back to top Go down
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Kiara gave a quick jerk of the hand when her finger was pricked. It was more reflex than anything else. When the key started to glow, she gave an incredulous look. Up to this moment there was still doubt floating around, but she clearly had someone watching over her. Looking down at the medallion in her hand she gave a small smile.
"Thank you." She said as she took the key.

She looked over as Aeneus mentioned that they would wait and Arya told her good luck. She grinned and gave a nod before heading to the vault. Once she reached it she took a deep breath and used the key to open it. Stepping in she was stunned at the cleanliness. There was very little in the vault though it wasn't empty. In one corner was a large chest next to an tall portable closet. She decided to open the chest and saw neatly stacked coins with a folded piece of parchment resting on it. Unfolding it she saw that it was addressed to her.

Hello Kiara, if you have found this, then apparently you are in need of what I have left you. I'm sure you have a lot of questions, but don't concern yourself with them for now. Things will be explained to you in due time. Do take comfort in knowing it's nothing sinister and you don't have some grand purpose to be held to.

In this chest I have left you enough to support you while you study at the Magocracy. In the closet beside it should be some decent clothing and robes. I doubt they'll be your size, but you're of course welcome to them.

I suggest trying to adjust to life in the Magocracy and learn the art of magic for the time being. You can do nothing that will help you more than that for now. I have to stop here though. I've set things up as well as I can for you at this point in time. I won't say I love you my daughter. I don't' deserve to, but hopefully I can say those words soon. Take care of yourself, we will meet before long.

Enalius Tinderleaf.

A few tears fell from Kiara's eyes as she read it. She hadn't ever felt this alone before. She knew she couldn't take too long though. Opening the closet she pulled loose some robes and quickly changed from her wet clothing into a set of flowing crimson robes with a long purple coat. they were loose, but it was far better from ragged wet clothing. Scooping some coins into a small pouch, she then left the vault and made sure to lock it.

Walking back to where Aeneus and Arya would be waiting she gave a small smile.
"It seems that father feels studying here would be the best choice for me. I agree with him." She said as she looked between them.
"So what do I need to do to get set up as a student in the Magocracy?" She asked, wanting to start as soon as she could.
Back to top Go down
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 pm

"So, what do you think of her?" asked Arya.

Aeneas's gaze returned to Arya... again. "Of Kiara?" he asked, and shrugged. "She is honest, lost. Whoever raised her must have been magicless, from the look she gets on her face every time she sees a spell in action. Still, she should be able to fit in well enough, and her House is too low to truly matter in the game of Towers." he answered.

Arya's eyes grew concerned... and accusing. "You have begun playing it, haven't you?" she asked, though it was not truly a question. Aeneas smiled at her. "I was playing it the day I was born. I am an Unseelie, Arya, we play the games as easily as we breathe. At first it was the game for my father's favour, then it was the game to become recognized as First Student. Since Olwyn took me under his wing, it has been the game of Towers."

"Yet if you lose..."

He gave her his best confident smile. "I never lose."

Then Kiara had returned, dressed in clothes more befitting to her station. The academy didn't have a set dress code, though all knew better than to show up in rags. Aeneas wore the attire of an Unseelie noble, the ensemble silver and of the highest quality. Arya herself wore a fine dress, though it still managed to be practical, instead of the garbs worn by noble ladies at court. It was Aeneas' opinion that she would make even a simple piece of cloth magnificent if she wore it, but he kept it to himself.

Arya smiled happily at the news, it seemed she liked the girl. "Usually such matters are arranged before the student's arrival, but you can go to the Student's Registrae; it's just before the academy's gates; they're hard to miss as they're held by two stone dragons." she answered.

"The Registrae would be close at this hour though. You'll need to go to one of the inns and rent a room there for the night before you are allowed your own rooms inside the academy."

"There's still room inside my tower, maybe you can live there once you're accepted inside the academy!" Arya proposed. "Unless you prefer to live in your own tower like Aeneas."

He smirked. "That does require to know the proper trap spells though. Usually, safety in numbers is better, not that I think anyone will bother you, not when you've just arrived."

That hadn't been the case for Aeneas though. His heritage had forced him to fight with all means at his disposition to take his place in the academy's society. He still did.
Back to top Go down
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Kiara looked thoughtful for a moment at the offer.
"Well if I do get accepted, then yes I would love to stay with you, at least at first." She said to Arya, glad for the choice to not have to be alone for a while. She felt she could keep a grip if she didn't have to be alone. If she wasn't with someone, she feared that she would break down and she didn't know if she could bring herself together well enough to actually function.

She looked between the two of them.
"So what Inn would you recommend?" She asked, knowing she had enough to cover several evenings on her, though she would still be sparing. She had enough to be comfortable for a while, not enough to just toss money around. Despite the pain gnawing at her, Kiara was ecstatic from sheer relief and general comfort. She was still lost though and would accept any help she could get.

Kiara decided that she would have to learn about those trap spells, they could be useful. Though she wondered why anyone would cause her problems here. Particularly as Aeneus had clarified that it wouldn't be early on that problems would arise, suggesting that such things would come later, which didn't make much sense to her.
Back to top Go down
Apo
Admin
Apo

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 12:23 am

"The Evening Star would be a good choice. It is of good quality, and the rent is not as costly as the other inns." Aeneas said, though he had rarely, if ever, stayed at an inn in all his life as a student of the academy. His old, solitary tower suited him fine. Speaking of which... "It is time for us to return to the academy. The Evening Star will be on your left when you leave the bank, the sign is hard to miss." he said.

"Good luck for your admission! Well, you won't really need luck, just magic and the key showed that you had." Arya added, and soon both students were out of the bank. Darkness had fallen over Doh Alar, high time for them to return should they want an actual night of sleep.

"Not the night I had in mind when we set out, but it was time well spent, don't you think?" she asked the fae.

"Why, the only complaint I can think of is that I didn't get to finish my drink." Aeneas answered, but in a way that made it difficult to know if he was being honest or not. Still, it seemed to amuse Arya, and they spoke the rest of the way to her tower. After escorting her there, Aeneas returned to his own, and slept.
Back to top Go down
Oroan

Oroan

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 am

Kiara gave a nod at the suggestion.
"Alright, the Evening Star. Thank you both very much." She said as she gave a quick bow and watched the two of them leave her to go and head to the Inn. She stood there for a moment and took a deep breath as she looked back at the bank. Kiara had never even contemplated that her life would ever go this way.

Heading to the Inn she entered and gave over the fare for the evening. Heading up to her room, she hung up the dark coat and then walked over to the window looking out over what she could see of Alar'ai. This was the first time she could really let herself fully relax. She had calmed down since waking up, but she had still been kinda wound up. Now the memories of the night and what she had lost came flooding back.

Staggering back to her bed, she fell into and curled up into a ball and cried herself to sleep. It took nearly an hour before her sobs stopped. Despite finding she had the potential to work with magic, something that had always fascinated her, it had come at a terrible price. Just before she fell into her slumbers, her last thought was that she knew exactly what she would do once she learned to control the forces of magic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Old Magic and New Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Magic and New   Old Magic and New I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old Magic and New
Page 1 of 1